Every part of the essay has equal importance and needs to be dealt with proper attention. Similarly, the conclusion of an essay is an important part of the essay. People usually do not give much attention to the conclusion, thinking that it is the last part of the essay. The truth is that the conclusion is the last part and the essay needs to be completed effectively. People are usually confused about how to write a strong conclusion even if they want to write one. All you need is a complete guide and tips to structure a strong concluding paragraph. This article has highlighted all the important confusions about the conclusion of an essay. Before discussing the tips in detail, we will have a look at what a conclusion in the essay is.
What is a Conclusion?
Conclusions are basically the last part of your writing; you summarize your essay in it. Conclusions provide clarity and insight into the topic, so are considered the most important aspect of your essay or any form of writing. You can change a reader’s mind with a good conclusion. If you know how to write a comprehensive, engaging conclusion you can make your writing more impactful. Conclusions are your final opportunity to convince your reader of your point of view. The impression you make in your conclusion will shape the impression that remains with your readers after they have finished the essay. In this article, you will get to know how to write an impactful conclusion. What to include and what to avoid, tips to create a perfect conclusion.
How to Write a Conclusion
Below are a few steps that you can follow while writing a conclusion. A good conclusion ties together the essay’s main points and shows why your argument matters, following strategies help you to make a conclusion effective.
Step 1: Go back to your essay
To start your conclusion, the first thing is to give a signal that your essay is going to end. You can do that by going to your overall argument. Your conclusion should not repeat your thesis statement. Rephrase your statement to avoid repetition of your statement. Try to express how your argument has been developed since the introduction. The purpose of the concluding paragraph is basically to repeat the aspects you have already covered in your essay, so you need to go back to the essay and clearly observe it.
Step 2: Analyze your key points
The next step is to remind the reader about the key points of your essay that you have used to support your argument. Do not repeat the point in order and avoid simply summarizing each paragraph. You must bring your points in a way that makes the connections between each point clear. The conclusion is your last chance to persuade your reader and to show how all the paragraphs of your essay add up to a coherent whole. You should show your readers that your arguments support the other one and are conveying a similar main idea. This will help you enhance the credibility of your essay.
Step 3: Show it matters
While wrapping up your conclusion, try to raise a broader view of your topic. Consider the suggestions of your argument. For instance:
Does your conclusion raise new questions for future study?
Is it giving a new understanding of your topic?
Can you connect it to a broader debate?
No matter what your essay is about, the conclusion of your essay should highlight the importance of your argument. Try to end your conclusion with a solid, decisive sentence, leaving the reader with a lasting sense of interest in your topic. This last statement is a concluding statement and you should put lots of effort into making it interesting.
How Long Should a Conclusion Be?
A conclusion’s length depends on the size of your essay. A conclusion must be long enough to get your point across, but short enough that you’re not writing every concept you’ve ever had on the subject. Try to write it as briefly as possible. Conclusion paragraphs begin by rethinking the main idea definition, as you are restating the main idea of the essay in a different way.
The conclusion should be approximately 10% of your overall essay word count. For instance, if your essay is about 1500 words, your conclusion will be around 150 words. The final paragraph (conclusion) must close the discussion without closing it off. You should never open room for further discussion about the topic in your conclusion, it should always end the discussions.
Structure of Conclusion Paragraph
The conclusion has a specific structure that needs to be followed to make it effective. A detailed analysis of the outline of conclusion is mentioned below.
A concluding paragraph should contain the three main parts described below.
The starter of the concluding paragraph is the thesis statement. You do not state the thesis statement in exact words, it restated the thesis statement in different words. The purpose of this starter is to show the audience that the thesis statement was true. After all the explanations, the main conclusion of the essay comes to the same main point. The starter also enhances the credibility of your essay, as it shows that you are standing firm with your arguments that were initially established in the essay.
Summary of main points
The second part of the conclusion is to summarize the main points you have discussed in the essay. in each of the body paragraphs, you discuss each of the main points. These points should be connected in some way. In the concluding paragraph, you will link together these points and structure a statement that shows the relation among the discussed ideas. This part of the conclusion will show that your arguments are linked and share a relation. This will make your audience interested in your arguments, as they will believe that there is nothing unnecessary in your discussed points. This summary will show the relevance of your arguments.
The most important purpose of concluding paragraphs is to give a sense of completeness to the essay. You should never mention any point in the concluding paragraph that opens room for more discussion. You should add this last statement in such a way that it ends all the arguments and discussions. It should give your audience answers to all the questions that were discussed in the essay. End your essay with a statement that leaves a lasting impact on the minds of readers.
Tips to Structure a Perfect Conclusion
Following the structure of the concluding paragraph will help to make your conclusion stronger. However, you need some additional tips to keep in mind before writing the conclusion for your essay.
- Transition words
It is very important to use the appropriate transition words in your conclusion. The use of transition words like “in conclusion”, “summing up”, “as a result”, and “concluding” will give your audience a sense of closure. They will get ready to listen to your final viewpoints. This is the last chance to convince your readers of your points, so it is important to mention everything in a logical flow.
Echo is to reflect your introductory viewpoints to the audience. You should not transition your thoughts at this point. You should give your audience as much credibility to your writing as you can. This can only be done by restating the ideas you have covered in your essay. It helps to prove your point to the audience and creates a sense of better understanding in readers.
The easiest step to get your audience on board with your writings is to make them feel the importance of your thoughts. If you tell your audience the significance of your essay in their lives they will be more likely to read it. People usually love to read writings to which they can relate to. You should involve the future aspect and give your audience a chance to think about your words. Another important technique is to use “what” and “if” to get your audience thinking about the significance of the topic.
- Step up
You can amplify the meaning of your thoughts by adding a similar perspective to it. Try to cover the topic in a broader way. This can only be possible if you state similar points in a different way. You can also bring in new ideas that relate to the discussed topic. This will help readers have a new vision about the same topic.
- Leave room for thinking
Although you should end your concluding paragraph in a way that gives a sense of closure, it should not answer all the questions explicitly. Always leave room for thinking for your audience. End your essay with a statement that makes them think about the topic. The audience finds such readings interesting where they do not have straightforward answers to all the questions. Make your essay the one that people always feel glad to read.
Things to Avoid
While structuring the conclusions, people repeat a few common mistakes. These mistakes should be avoided while writing the conclusions. Following is the list of everything you need to avoid.
- Do not write any new information. People usually add a few more points to make the conclusion unique. This only adds to your difficulty, as it badly makes the quality of the essay fall. Adding new points will only confuse your audience and they will not like your essay quality, as it will be unable to answer some of their questions.
- Do not write your essay using the first person unless it is an opinion essay. It is usually observed that people start to use the first person in the conclusion which decreases the credibility. Readers assume that everything you have mentioned is merely your thoughts and is not proven by anyone. It is always a bad idea to put credibility at risk.
- Do not make the concluding paragraph too long. People start explaining everything and every detail covered in the essay. you do not need to explain all the main points again, as they have already been covered in the body paragraph. try to write a conclusion as short as you can. It should be brief and effective.
- Do not restate the thesis statement if you can provide further sophistication to the ideas. Always remember that these ideas should not be the new ones, a conclusion is not the place for them. Stick to the same point but try to state them more effectively.
- Do not use lousy language in your concluding paragraphs. It is very important to take care of language while writing essays. Simple and classic words will do justice to the conclusion. Make everything simple and straightforward.
Following are the explanations of few aspects that make your conclusions ineffective.
- Mentioning in your conclusion that you are sticking to your point makes it ineffective. You do not have to tell the audience that you are sticking to it, you have to prove it with your words.
- It is always a bad idea to state the thesis for the first time in the concluding paragraph. Writers think that it will be a good idea to keep the readers in suspense and then surprise with the main idea in the end. It leads to ineffective conclusions because they are supposed to be simple and closed.
- Never add information that is out of context than the rest of the paper. It will only make your conclusion ineffective and upset your audience. The right choice of words is so important.
- Adding information that does not fit in or integrate with the previously mentioned information will only create confusion for the audience. It will not only make your conclusion ineffective but will also upset the audience’s trust.
Summing up the whole discussion, writing the conclusion of an essay can be easy with a proper guide at hand. This article has highlighted everything you need to know before writing a conclusion. If you follow the tips and avoid the points mentioned above, you can write a strong conclusion for your essay.